I hope you're well.
This week we remember the life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., just days before the inauguration of America's 46th President, Joe Biden. As the inauguration draws nearer, I hope you're able to take some time to sit with the importance of this week in the context of history, of the past four years, the past year, and within the context of your own life.
I'll leave you with a quote from Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. that a friend shared:
"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
This is the time to step up and do your part. I'm proud of you for the hard work you put in, and I understand if you feel tattered and exhausted from the past year. Do what you can to stand up for the things you believe in, and use your voice and your actions to amplify the people that are making this world a better place.
✊ We're all in this together.
This stuff has been living in my brain rent free...
- ⏲️ Temporal illusions are like optical illusions... but for time. (Note: Very 2019 metaphor incoming) Ever wonder why a delay at the airport on your way to vacation (I know, I know) feels so damn long? Check out this video from YouTube channel Vsauce for a stretchy explanation of our trippy perception of time.
- 💃 About a week ago, the Great Gatsby lost copyright protection in the US (the life of the author plus 70 years). That means it is now in the public domain, and we may start seeing some interesting works based on Gatsby.. What an appropriate time for it, too! Check out this really cool Graphic Novel version of The Great Gatsby, by K. Woodman-Maynard.
- 🤙 If you're an American, 5Calls.org is a super easy way for you make 5 quick calls to people who represent you in congress. Tell them you're a constituent, what city you live in, and a brief message about what you support. For example: "Hey, this is Mike, a citizen from Charlotte, and I'm calling to voice support for removing president Trump from office." That's all it takes!
- 🎵 Ever wonder what goes into designing a font for musicians to use? Did you know that sheet music used to be freaking hand engraved?! Honestly, neither did I! That didn't stop me from going deep on this fantastic video from Tantacrul about his work on the matter. Get in there and learn a bit - it's fascinating, even if you're not a musician.
- 🏞️ In green-ness news, the city of Paris has approved plans to turn the iconic Champs-Élysées into a giant city park. I have fond memories of meandering the Champs with two dear friends during a work trip in 2016. Freeing that area of car traffic will be absolutely transcendent. Check out this article from The Guardian discussing the project.
If you enjoy my musings, I'd love it if you'd share Tiny Improvements with a friend. Feel free to forward this to them, or shuttle them directly over to newsletter signup on my website. Thanks in advance - it means the world.
Do yourself a favor and take an extra moment to be kind to yourself this week. While you're at it, be excellent to each other.